You can enrol onto this course :
You need to be logged in to enroll in this course
This module will give you insight into the world of Biomass. Biomass is a diverse, readily available and plentiful fuel source. According to the International Energy Agency, biomass is the fourth largest energy resource in the world after oil, coal and gas. Biomass is biological material derived from living, or recently living organisms. In the context of biomass for energy this is often used to mean plant based material, but biomass can equally apply to both animal and plant derived material.
Generating energy from biomass is one of the oldest energy technology used by mankind. Biomass has been used to generate heat and light since the Stone Age and following more than 400.000 years has become a major source of energy. It lost the leadership with the advent of fossil fuels and electrification.
The following topics will be covered:
- Principles of obtaining biomass energy
- The difference between Biomass and Fossil Fuels
- What are biofuels
- Production of energy from biomass
The goal of this chapter is to:
- become familiar with the possibilities of biomass energy production and its forms
- become familiar with the production of energy from biomass (pyrolysis, gasifying, etc.) and biomass stations
- learn the differences between biomass and fossil fuels
- understand the advantages and disadvantages of biomass